On May 19, 2011, you demanded that Israel return to the 1967 borders, which would include giving back the Golan Heights, the West Bank and Old City of Jerusalem. Israel's border would be reduced from 45 miles wide to 8 miles wide, which would leave Israel indefensible. I am writing to you to consider the following historical information concerning the United States treatment of Israel.
On nine occasions, the United States government has attempted to pressure Israel into decisions detrimental to her survival as a nation. Her leaders have been rudely treated by US Presidents during these times. On each occasion, disasters immediately fell upon the United States. That history is as follows:
- 10/30/ 1991: VP George Bush opened the Madrid Conference aimed at forcing Israel to give up more land. Near the same time, a storm formed in the Atlantic. It traveled in an unusual direction and sent 35 ft waves in to Bush's New England home.
- 8/23/1992: Madrid Conference moved to Washington, D.C. That same day, Hurricane Andrew, the worst natural disaster in US history at that time, caused over $30 billion in damage and left 180,000 homeless.
- 1/16/1994: President Clinton met with Syria's President for talks on forcing Israel to give up the Golan Heights. Less than 24 hours later, a 6.9 earthquake shook Southern California. It was the second most destructive natural disaster to hit the US.
- 3/1/1997: Yassar Arafat, head of the Palestine Liberation Organization, toured America. He was in the US for one month, leaving the first part of April. On the day he landed in the US, powerful tornadoes devastated huge sections of Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi and the Dakotas. These storms led to the worst flooding in the 20th Century. On the day he left, the storms ceased.
- 1/21/1998: Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu net with President Clinton. The Prime Minister was coldly received by Mr. Clinton because he flatly refused to give up more of Israel's land. Clinton and Secretary of State Madeline Albright refused to have lunch with him. A few hours later, the Monica Lewinsky scandal broke over Clinton's head.
- 9/28/1998: Yassar Arafat addressed the United Nations in New York and stated that he would declare a Palestinian state by May 1999. As he said these words, Hurricane George pounded the Gulf Coast and caused $1 billion in damages. At the exact time Arafat left the US, the storm faded.
- 8/29/2005: President George W. Bush pressured Israel to evacuate from the Gaza Strip. 8,000 Israeli settlers were forced to leave their homes and villages. Exactly one week later, Hurricane Katrina smashed Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. 80% of the city of New Orleans was under water. The percentage of the Israeli population that was made homeless by the forced evacuations was almost exactly equal to the same percentage of the American population left homeless by Katrina.
- 3/23/2010: Prime Minister Netanyahu arrived at the White House to meet with you. Instead of being taken through the front door, he was taken through a side door, an apparent act of humiliation. No press corps was invited and no friendly photos taken. Instead, he was harshly addressed by you and then was left to sit alone while you had lunch with your family. Your parting remarks were, "If you come up with anything new, call me." The Prime Minister flew home. In 48 hours, huge storms caused massive flooding in the US, the worst in 200 years.
- 4/19/2010: Before the United Nations, you stated that the United States will no longer automatically side with Israel at the UN. This was the first time that any US President had made such a statement. On April 19, Israel was celebrating her rebirth as a nation, since the Jewish Calendar is a lunar calendar, unlike our solar calendar, which would have had that birthday in May. Within 24 hours of your statement, the British Petroleum oil well exploded killing 11 in the Gulf of Mexico. This was the worst natural disaster in American history.
- 4/19/2011: You embraced the Palestinian demand for Israel to return to the 1967 borders, which Israel has declared would be asking her to commit national suicide. This was a radical departure for the government of the United States. Three days later on Sunday, May 22, 2011, the deadliest single tornado since 1953 tore through Joplin, Missouri, destroying 25% or more of the city and killing 90. A tornado hit Minneapolis also.
Coincidence or Divine Judgment? Genesis 12:31 warns, "And I will bless them that bless you, and curse him that curses you: and in you shall all families of the earth be blessed."
The God of Israel also warned, "FOR BEHOLD, in those days and at that time when I shall reverse the captivity and restore the fortunes of Judah and Jerusalem, I will gather all nations and will bring them down into the Valley of Jehoshaphat, and there will I deal with and execute judgment upon them for their treatment of My people and of My heritage Israel, whom they have scattered among the nations and because they have divided My land." Joel 3:1-2
Mr. President, I humbly urge you to reconsider your stated policy toward Israel. It is contrary to God's Word. God has blest America in times past because she supported and defended the nation of Israel. To demand Israel to return to the 1967 borders, leaving her in an indefensible position, will bring the wrath of God down upon our nation. Judgment has already begun! Not only the sake of Israel but for America's sake, please immediately reverse your policy.
Rev. Michael Edds